Saturday, March 13, 2010

So Yogi isn't just a bear?

As I mentioned in my last post, I sustained a pretty awful injury while training for my half-marathon. While researching how to treat the injury, I kept coming across articles on the benefits of yoga for athletes. I've been wanting to incorporate yoga into my routine for quite a while now, so this seemed like a great opportunity to start. To get myself motivated, I bought a new purple yoga mat and a cute purple yoga block. My schedule doesn't permit me to take yoga classes at a gym or studio, so I purchased the following DVDs after doing a little research:

I really had no idea how messed up my body was until I started doing these DVDs. In addition to my latest injury, I have pretty severe back issues that I sustained in a car accident a couple of years ago. The poses that were supposed to be "relaxing" (like lying on my back) were excruciating due to my injuries. I really should have started doing this years ago! I have to wait 5 more weeks to start running again to give my injury time to heal, so I'm trying to be diligent with the yoga during my time off. I'm anxious to see if the yoga will help prevent future injury like it promises.

Are you into yoga? If so, in what ways has it helped you?

I'm looking forward to becoming a yogini =)

3 confessions:

Jules said...

I hope that is helps you and I’m sorry you’ve been in so much pain. I’m not flexible at all and I know that Yoga could really help with this.

Lindsey said...

Oh no! I hope it helps, you poor thing! I've done Biggest Loser Yoga and did like it. It's really great stretching and did help me feel loosened up.

Tasha said...

I used to go to a Pilates class regularly and it really helped my flexibility. I stopped going because I started running... but maybe I should be doing both?! I hope your injury heals very fast!