Monday, February 2, 2009

Thought of the Week

Well, I have nothing fabulous to report today because, as yall know, I have been crazy busy with my CCE (see previous post). However, I really wanted to share with you something I heard at church yesterday.

It's no secret that a lot of people are struggling financially these days. And a lot of people, myself included, are striving to become more financially secure this year. I have been a hardcore shopaholic for, oh, about 26 years (I think I came out of the womb screaming "I want!"). So needless to say, trying to become financially responsible has been a HUGE challenge for me. The past few months I have prayed about it constantly.

Well, my prayers were answered because yesterday at church we started a series on becoming financially free. It turns out that Jesus had a lot to say regarding money. I am super excited about this series. I found a lot of the message to be incredibly profound, but this one thing REALLY stuck with me:

"We buy things we don't NEED with money we don't HAVE to impress people we really don't LIKE."

I started thinking about it, and this is so true! I mean, really, do I NEED $300 jeans? (No.) And do I really HAVE the money to buy $300 jeans? (No.) And who even cares if I have $300 jeans? (I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who judged my character based on the fact that I have $300 jeans anyway.)

I have a feeling that this 7 week series is going to be life changing for me. Will I become a reformed shopaholic? I can't wait to find out :)

2 confessions:

Jules said...

Wow! It sounds like a great series and much needed in these tough times. What you said about the $300 is so true.

Piper Jacquelyn said...

Sounds like the perfect subject at just the right time. Sometimes I think we have to take a step back & reevaluate all the material aspects of our life!