Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Almost as good as shrimp and grits...almost...

Hubby and I have seriously been craving shrimp and grits lately. We've tried to console ourselves by promising that we'll make some in a few weeks when we are a bit further along in our quest for healthy eating (I think we both fear that if we eat it now our organic veggies will end up battered and fried and that will be the end of our current fitness craze). So this weekend I decided to try a healthier option and made Lemon-Mint Bulgur Risotto with Garlic Shrimp. It was surprisingly amazing and I can't wait to have it again. It was not our beloved shrimp and grits, but it was a delicious alternative.


Lemon-Mint Bulgur Risotto with Garlic Shrimp {from Cooking Light}

3 cups water
1 teaspoon salt, divided
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
3/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1 cup uncooked bulgur
4 cups torn spinach
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

Combine water and 3/4 tsp salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat. {I actually did this in the microwave and it worked great.}

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add green onions; cook 1 minutes, stirring constantly. Add bulgur; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add warm salted water, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of warm salted water is absorbed before adding the next ( about 20 minutes total). Remove from heat. Add spinach, mint, rind, and juice; stir until spinach wilts. Keep warm.

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; saute 30 seconds. Add 1/4 tsp salt, pepper, and shrimp; saute 2 minutes or until shrimp are done. Divide risotto evenly among 4 small plates or bowls, and arrange shrimp evenly over risotto. Garnish with lemon wedges if desired.

There you have it! Quick and easy....and only 321 calories per serving.

6 confessions:

Anonymous said...

That sounds SO good. I was just telling my husband tonight that I've been craving shrimp!

I gave you a blog award! Go to my blog for the details. :)

Imjustagirl said...

That looks awesome!

Summer Athena said...

321 calories! WOW!

Lindsey said...

Wow, this looks amazing and is making me super hungry!!

Mrs. McB said...

This sounds great!!!!! I'll have to try it very soon.

Piper Jacquelyn said...

Oh my goodness, this looks AMAZING! I am absolutely writing it down and possibly even making it this weekend! Thanks for sharing.