Sunday, April 19, 2009

I've never met a shrimp I didn't like...

I must confess that I am a huge shrimp lover. I will eat them prepared in almost any way. In fact, I've only had one horrific shrimp experience. Hubby (who was Boyfriend at the time) was visiting me in Louisiana and we decided to go have sushi. Since we were still early in our relationship, I decided it would be fun to let him do the ordering so I could try some new things. So he ordered a ton of stuff and out come these delicious looking little shrimp nestled on top of balls of rice, as if they were just relaxing until we decided to eat them. We Cajuns love our shrimp, so naturally I immediately grabbed one with my chopsticks and devoured it. Hubby ate one at about the same time. As we started to chew, we both realized in horror that the shrimp was RAW. Now I love raw fish, but raw SHRIMP? I have tasted few things fouler in my lifetime. We grabbed the menu and realized that hubby had ordered the wrong shrimp. We still laugh about that experience.

This weekend, hubby and I had a much more pleasant dining experience involving shrimp. Hubby skewered some shrimp and experimented with different seasonings and Cajun marinades, then threw them on the grill. We had them with sauteed veggies and enjoyed a nice little dinner on our patio.

{I just love summer meals outside, don't you?}

I must admit I was excited when we had some shrimp left over because I could eat shrimp everyday. So today I threw together a healthy little pasta dish:

I sauteed baby bella mushrooms and garlic in some olive oil, then threw in the left over shrimp. Next I added whole wheat fettuccine and crushed red pepper flakes. Finally, I topped the dish off with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese....so easy and so good! You must try it if you're a shrimp addict like me :)

11 confessions:

Jillian said...

I'm definitely a shrimp addict...that looks awesome. Also, in reference to your last post...that happens to me ALL the time. Shopping is my cardio.

Imjustagirl said...

Looks Delish! I love shrimp too. I have a few good shrimp recipes hmmmm.... I will have to post them soon I think. Also if you ever make it back to Tarpon Springs go to Pauls and order there shrimp they are just boiled but so sweet and amazing I remember eating there is a child they were awesome. They used to be down by the docks but now are just south of the docks a block or too:)

Jules said...

I love shrimp too. The shrimp on a skewer and the pasta both look delicious. Yum! Eating outside when it's nice out is the best.

Lindsey said...

Oh that looks amazing!!!

Barefoot in the Park said...

i love shrimp too ... something about a boil that just makes you feel like summer!

Anonymous said...

I am starving now after seeing those skewered shrimp!

Piper Jacquelyn said...

Mushrooms! I love shrimp as well. Our fave fish restaurant here in Omaha has the best fresh shrimpies. I'm with you though, no raw shrimp, please! Other fish is great raw, but shrimp? NO.

No Longer Newlyweds. said...

I had shrimp pasta yesterday BEFORE i went to meet with my trainer...he reminded me through every squat or sit-up we did that it wasn't worth it.
Why is everything that's bad for you taste SO GOOOD?!?!??!

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

See I've never been a shrimp person, but my boyfriend is determined to get me on the shrimp bandwagon.

I love scallops, mussels, oysters, pretty much the whole seafood family except shrimp. I think it's a texture thing.

Mrs. McB said...

The dish you put together sounds amazing. I'll have to try that.

jlc said...

Ohhh Yummo!!!

I wish I had that in front of me right now!